Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Puppets

I once had a crush on the puppet - or more properly, the marionette - 'Alan' from the Thunderbirds TV show. I think he piloted some underwater thingamajig. He seemed soft-spoken and sweet, more my type. My daughter confessed to having had a crush on the fox in the cartoon version of Robin Hood. Apparently many of her friends shared this. At least mine was an object in real life, resembling a human being!

When the kid was a teenager, we would watch old reruns of the Thunderbirds, mute the sound, and make up voices for them. ONe time, two of them were trying to get out of some kind of structure that looked basically like a hydro tower. They were frantic, and called for help: "Help! Help! Our strings are hopelessly tangled!"

Now I live in a town that has a puppet festival, marked by a puppet parade down the main street.
All the local businesses have puppets on display. The event was marred this year by the theft of a puppet image of a local/semi-national celebrity, from a restaurant. My friend used to date him. I just admired the puppet from afar.

No comments: