Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Bits and pieces of the last week

I found a fun web site that compares your pictures to those of celebrities:

http://www.myheritage.com/FP/Company/tryFaceRecognition.php?s=1&u=g0&lang=EN

Wasted plenty of time on that one tonight.

We went to visit my friend Paige after work and took her a Christmas decoration that we picked up for fun: a lighted, inflatable Santa. Paige used to be our landlady; we became friends when we worked together. I'm still hoping that she moves out here - she grew up around this area, after all. It was fun taking pictures of the Santa (who looks like a friend of hers!). Will post one later.

Had lunch last week with one of my former computer students, Jamie (I've had all kinds of weird and different jobs - a change is as good as a rest). He has just broken up with the latest girlfriend. He always says that life is so complicated, and thinks I'm rather naive because I say it's not. I set him up with a girlfriend from work once - and another time took along my friend Paige to a bar he was playing at (part time musician), to see if there was interest; all unsuccessfully. I have a 0 for 500 batting average at matchmaking, but an abiding interest in it. Anyway, turns out he's moved in on the same street as girlfriend from work. Heh heh heh. Jamie and I can talk for hours; he rants, I am more philosophical. We worked together in 1995 or 1996 for 4 months. I am in touch with most of my former students from that time, but mostly him and Suzanne (who I adore). He is more my age (42) although I had to get used to that since because he was a student back then I took him to be much younger (early 20s, and he was 32). No doubt I talked down to him off and on. He didn't seem to take offence.

My boss announced that he's leaving for a bigger department, will be the Director General of Social Policy. I will miss him a lot. Marilyn and I cried when he told us. He'll be gone after I return from my first Christmas vacation in years.This will be cause for much future disruption, I'm certain.


No comments: